What is bleed?

A bleed is when an image extends beyond the trim edge of the product. If your image is not white on all four sides, you will want to include bleeds in your files. Add 1/8” (.125”) to each side of the file. For Example, for a 2” x 3.5” business card with full bleed, the image size should be submitted at 2.25” x 3.75”.

What is safe area?

Safe area is the 1/8” margin that we require between the trim line and the text closest to the trim line.

Can I write on UV coating?

No. UV coating cannot be written on. We do offer a matte or aqueous coating on several products which are writeable with most pens.

What is CMYK?

CMYK stands for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Key (Black). This is the standard process colors used in full-color offset printing. The combination of these four colors can produce a wide spectrum of colors. Cyan, Magenta and Yellow combine to create the color, while Black is used to change the shade of the color.

What is RGB?

RGB stands for Red, Green, Blue. These are most commonly used with television screens, web design, and computer monitors but are not used in offset printing. RGB files should be converted to CMYK prior to uploading. Colors may need to be adjusted after the conversion and may not appear correctly on your monitor.

What is the difference between 100# gloss text and 100# gloss cover?

The difference between the two is that the cover stock is thicker than text.

What is the difference between matte and glossy finish?

With matte coating, you will get a dull finish without gloss or luster. With gloss coating, you will get a high gloss finish that will have shine to the paper.

What is 14pt C2S?

14pt C2S is a type of board stock that is coated on both sides. This stock is highly durable and is well suited for a variety of print products.

What if I find a mistake in the artwork?

As a customer, you are responsible for the accuracy of your artwork. You are encouraged to carefully inspect the positioning, copy and design elements in your art files before submitting them to us.

Where do I upload my files?

You can e-mail files to info@nationalprintdesign.com or send larger files at wetransfer.com.

What type of files do you accept?

High-res PDF files are what we recommend.

Do I need to use a product template?

This is completely up to you. You are not required to use one.

How do I know if your graphics department will set up two-sided artwork correctly?

The general rule of thumb is the first page is the front, the last page is the back.

Do you archive files?


Why should I convert my text to outline?

Converting your text to outline is the most effective way to ensure your typefaces look exactly as you designed them. If you think you might want to make changes later on, this is not the option for you.

Printing isn’t just printing, its an art and national print design take pride in all of the pieces of art that have our names attached to them. Learn More about the terms on our glossary page here.